Friday, March 5, 2010

Without Words

Someone recently told me something I did not want to hear. It made me realize how little the people around me really understand me. That is not their fault though, it is my responsibility to teach them. I have been working on talking less, but I made no promises on writing less....It is hard to teach others about me so they can understand without talking. How do you share without talking? How do you comfort without a comforting word of assurance? How do you ever experience the true joy of a compliment if a person has never insulted you before? Why must I only speak superficially with you? Are you afraid I might see the real you? Do you like you? When you are alone and no one else in the world can see you but God, do you like who you are? If you want to tell me something, but are hesitant because it "may" hurt my feelings, then you also say you don't care if anyone is mad at you, then aren't you actually lying to yourself....and me...? Honesty hurts sometimes. There are a million right ways to tell someone that you disagree with them. I obviously need to learn them! I don't want you to hurt, I want you to be honest with yourself. When you are a million years old and taking your very last breath with your family all around you, will you say, I am so glad for all of the times we shared, or will you say, I am sorry for all of the times I was not there for you? P.S. I really am not sure who I am talking to. It seems I have a mixture of emotions from a million different conversations. I'm just venting again. Opps! :-)

2 comments:

Ted said...

So much of communication is nonverbal that you can say a lot without "saying" anything. Keep talking though, you are good at it.

Joanna Reinhardt-Anderson said...

I am so very aware of non-verbal communication, that's the problem. People who have every poor non-verbal communication skills and verbal communication skills are shooting themselves in the foot as well as hurting everyone around them. Thank you for saying that though honey, your few words just now will carry over as a compliment for a VERY long time. Love you.

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...