Friday, April 23, 2010

Cholchester School Board Meeting

Written Friday:
Oh how I wish I could have told them that I wasn't opposed to my children going to their obviously well-run school, it was simply a matter of distance and lifestyle. We literally are going to build our home three or four feet out of Macomb school district. It takes us five minutes/ 7 miles to get to Macomb from the farm. When we proposed the possible land (taxation) transfer in order for our children to go to Macomb schools, they looked as if we were telling them that we thought they were a horrible and incapable school district that we wanted nothing to do with. I almost started to cry during the meeting. It was so hard not to speak. I kept my mouth shut because I was unaware of what was appropriate or not in that forum. It became clear to us and the lawyer that they were not going to make a decision at that time nor would it be a favorable one if we had requested them to do so. Our regular lawyer must have sensed my claws and assigned his other partner in the law firm to the case and we click quite well. I love how the non-verbal communication seems to go fluidly. We feel so bad that they may have been insulted by our request. It would mean that in high school they would drive past Macomb High School 5 minutes after leaving home to drive all of the way to Blandinsville.
I guess it is in God's hands now.
I feel most awkward about one of the school board members being one of the Mom's in Jake's parent/tot swimming lessons class. I really liked her, but she seemed particularly insulted last night. I'm not sure she made the connection or not, but I'm pretty sure if I did that she did. I feel terrible. She must have not liked me in the class to be so adamantly and greatly insulted by our proposal. It made no sense to me. I hate disappointing people, and most importantly, I hate disappointing people when I feel I am so greatly misunderstood, which seems to run ramped in my life. Or maybe I am understood quite well and I simply don't understand myself...hummmm. Oh, to ponder.

2 comments:

Micah said...

Jo, yes, I try to jump on your blog every once in a while and snoop into your life. You probably don't want unsolicited advice but what you wrote bothered me. You should be able to send the kids to Macomb. Since you live on the border, you should get a chance for choice.

I know nothing about the situation outside of what you wrote so ignore what I say if it has already been said. The Colchester School Board sounds like they are going to be rigid. I'm sure they would see how this was more of a gray area it someone was trying to get out of the Macomb district and into their district. Anyway, to get to my point, it sounds like they may make an emotional decision and hide behind semantics.

Here is the unsolicited advice. The school board members in that kind of smaller school district are serving on the board because they care about their children's education and have strong loyalty towards their schools. They probably see Macomb schools as the Goliath to their David. I can appreciate that. What might help your cause is to write each Board member a personal, hand-written letter. You can be short but explain yourself as a mother the connection you have to the Macomb schools and secondly, the hardship it would cause being so far from your children, etc. Conclude by complimenting their school district.

You're a good writer and I think at best it could help your chances and at worst force them to come up with a better explaination for denying you than simply saying, "Sorry, you are in the district so there is nothing we can do."

If you even consider this advice, make sure you talk to your attorney. He may find a real good reason to not do this. I don't know much about the law but I pretend I know a bit about politics.

I have written too much. I just want this to work out for you guys. It is way too important.

I hope everything else is going well.

Take care,
Micah

Joanna Reinhardt-Anderson said...

Oh Micah, how I long for comments like this. I love you. I certainly will talk to the lawyer. I have already been trying to keep my mouth shut as my heart is screaming otherwise. What you wrote was perfect and I thank you so much, Love, Jo

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...