Thursday, April 8, 2010

An Animal With a Heart


I learned to do dishes at four
not sure it was a great idea
based on the many found upon the floor.
Started driving the riding mower when I was 12
never wanted to admit how terrifying those hills were
or how sad it was as the mower spit out all those critters
Never mentioned the times I hit the barn the bin or the fence
I'm sure the damage left was enough evidence
Rode around our family farm on a john Deere
wearing only a two piece swimming suit and a ponytail in my hair
I learned to drive in the waterways
14 and fearless
Grandpa yelling "calm-it down"
"you'd never drive like this on into town!"
Laughing at the craziness of it all
Nothing was scary unless I made the call
Stepping on anthills, stopped my heart
All those millions of ants
all wiped out
and all of it was all my fault
Daring and brave to try anything
Terrified underneath I might not be liked?
a life filled with guilt, craziness and doubt.
I like change and taking risks,
but can't stand to lose my pet fish?
I can run for miles on empty and decide to go one more
But if you doubt me I crumble to the floor?
I love a challenge for a little bit, but
give me no chance for air and I come up and spit!?
Sweet and sensitive, feisty and brave
What's the confusion all about
I think I might have me all figured out.
I'm an animal with a heart.

1 comment:

Joanna Reinhardt-Anderson said...

Ok let my clarify, no, I wasn't on crack when I wrote this. I can't understand what is so hard to understand. I was showing the contradictions in my personality, of brave, risky, sensitive and fiesty and how I've had it my whole life. I thought about it when I was watching Grant yesterday. Anyhoo, maybe you don't like it, but I do. It came out without thought, so if it didn't make sense, it could be my stream of consciousness style of writing. Oh, well, It's more about my therapy anyway. Yep, me, me, me... that's what it is all about all of the time right? :-) Well, if you know me, maybe you might know that last statement isn't true, but if you don't know me, sorry...your loss, I'm a lot of fun :-P (Grant reference)

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...