Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Mother Kathy sent this to me to share with you!

I loved the list you shared with me (and others). It was so upbeat and inspired me to make my own list. Feel free to share my list. Love, Mom.

1) Family....what can I say. They make life interesting, they give it meaning, they make you face your weaknesses and fears as well as your strengths. Each one has their special place in your heart and I have a unique relationship with each one. Grandkids are awesome!!!!

2) Exercise. Walk, bike, gardening/yard work, Y classes...it's all good. A great stress reliever. It makes me feel healthier and stronger. BONUS: My Y instructor Beth F. - she makes it fun, pushes my limits...she is Great!

3) Innkeepers Coffee, N. Seminary St. Galesburg, IL.- My escape. I don't drink coffee, although their fresh roasted coffee flavors smell great (they roast it there). I love their fresh brewed iced tea- flavored or green. I've never found any like this...and their fresh salads - wonderful. Whether it's sandwiches, baked goods, chocolates, soups, or salads, it's all tasty. Quality, friendly service and great atmosphere....I miss this place on my days off. I'm so lucky to work so close. Please remember to avoid this place b/w 11:30 and 1:00 on weekdays, so that I don't have to wait in a long line for lunch. I walk in the door, talk a deep breath and let my stresses go.

4) Downy Wrinkle Release spray- I'm not a fan of ironing, but I hate wrinkles. Whether it's my work blouses, pants, or even T-shirts, this stuff is great. We now keep a bottle at the office.

5) Shout wipes or Tide to Go- Even if you're not sloppy like some of us - everyone has an accident occasionally. These allow you to clean it on the go. Also, I've found them good on carpet spots.. Keep in your desk, purse, car, bathroom closet (it's good on makeup spots).

6) Lawn chairs- nothing like chilling in the yard. I'm known for not being able to sit still, but I love to chill in the evening on my patio (OK, so I don't have patio, but I pretend I have my patio in my back yard).

7) A loyal loving dog- Aspen. What a great dog. He's awesome - gentle, protective, and loving.

8) The Farm. Growing crops - all stages, the farming community, managing your own business with your own sweat and tears, tractors, combines, technology, planning, numbers (see 11 below), the scenery (see 9 below), the environment, feeling so close to God, living in the country, neighbors being someone that lives within a few miles of you, walking the block means 3 miles, growing your own food in the garden or on fruit trees and bushes, pick up trucks...the list would never end.

9) Most Weather- the changes of the seasons, so you when you get tired of the weather you are having, you know a change is around the corner. Each season adds a fresh new beauty to the stages of life. Rain, snow, sunshine, breezes, fall leaves and crisp air. The sky changes that occur with the weather changes including the colorful sunrises and sunsets....or starry nights and colored moons.

10) Trees - for shade, breezes, leaves in the fall, climbing, wind protection, and for beauty.

11) Numbers - I love numbers. I can't help myself from calculating even when I'm driving, exercising, or going to sleep. Yeah, I think it is fun.

12) Pepsi and fresh brewed iced tea (or hot in the winter) - caffeine with sugar or caffeine without sugar or there is always the caffeine free option. They are my go-to "comfort" food.

13) Cell phones - I remember our first bag phone. We still have it. Now I take my cell everywhere. It makes me feel safe. My family can reach me if they need to and I can get help if I need it.

14) Dr Radio XM radio station 119. Now I enjoy my long drive to work or any other place. It's like a continual learning program. Solid, useful information from a good resource. I love learning and I can honestly learn something useful everyday.

15) Music - whether it's a school band, church choir, orchestra, or professional artist, I appreciate it. For me, it's about the rhythm, sound, words, or emotions. It lifts me up, revs me up, evokes emotion, makes me want to dance, tap my foot or sway. Sometimes it makes me want to sing (wish I could).

16) Reading - taking someone else's words and combining their representation/message with my own imagination. It lifts me up, inspires me, evokes emotion, or makes me want to tell others. Sometimes it makes me want to write (like this list).

17)Laughing - it's great exercise and quite healthy (even if it makes you pee your pants). I love a good laugh - not when someone is demeaning someone else. It's great if you can laugh at yourself. I love laughing with my Mom - we can laugh until we cry or cry until we laugh. We would laugh at Gilda Radner on SNL in the early 80's. We still laugh at some of the same funny things we did years ago. My son thought he was born to entertain, starting when he was only months old. He made me laugh during some of the hardest times of my life. My daughter always wanted to be as funny as she thought her brother was- she was funny when she let it come naturally. Most of all she knew the joy of laughing with others not at others. She an knows how to laugh out loud and from the soul. My husband seldom has much to say, but when you least expect it he is surprisingly hilarious. Take time to laugh today..out loud...from your soul.

No comments:

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...