Sunday, July 18, 2010

What Size!?







I was in a store at the mall looking for a long white dress suitable for bible school so I could dress it up to the Egyptian theme when a saleswoman quickly approached me. I had my hands on the perfect dress, I thought, but I just needed to find the right size. I moved faster as she grew closer and closer. Darn it, I didn't find my size and it was perfect. She says in an almost degrading tone, ma'am, these clothes over here in this section would fit you better. I looked up to see that I was standing in the 14-21 sized clothes and she was directing me to the juniors! I was caught in quite an interesting situation. I was irritated that she was so offended that I had found a dress that I had liked in the 14-21 sized clothes and asked if she could find me that dress in the juniors, making sure to say "juniors" in the exact same tone she had used with me to tell me that the clothes in another section would fit me better.



She couldn't find the dress, I knew she wouldn't be able to. The juniors dresses barely cover your butt. The cleavage would show, it would be too tight....basically they make most of the juniors dresses totally inappropriate!



I was thinking while I drove home from the mall. What if I had been shopping in the juniors and a rude employee redirected me to an area she thought suited me better. What if she took me to the sizes 14-21? It wouldn't be any different than the assumption she made by taking me to the juniors. Society will always find it okay to tell someone they are smaller than they think they are, that they are too skinny, that they shouldn't be wearing misses, 14-21 women's, 0r clothes made for the women with curves. Yet, if someone were to tell a customer the complete opposite, it would be completely unacceptable. "Oh, ma'am you would find more clothes suitable for your larger body in this plus size section hidden here in the back of the store, the junior size is much too small for you and we put that in the front of the store so that we can make the rest of the population believe that the majority of society fits into the sizes of teenagers." Would it ever be okay to tell someone they look beautiful because they don't fit into those tiny little doll clothes? If I ever had a store I would put mannequins in the front window like this: A plus size mom next to her junior sized daughter, with a misses sized mom next to a plus sized daughter. They would look smashing hot and beautiful. By the way, I don't think I will go back to that store. I am not a junior. I would like to look and dress my age. I am thinking that reasons, such as these are possibly the answer to the question of why I hate shopping so much. I did finally figure my outfit out and I was proud of myself. I basically held it all together with staples and safety pins. I think it turned out beautiful.

No comments:

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...