Friday, July 16, 2010

Here's a Twist

My kind husband offered to let me go on a vacation for a few days, just to get away because I haven't been away- (from my kids) for more than a night or so since they were born. This has happened for a few reasons:

1) I am a homebody- I actually find home much more comfortable than any other place in this world...but right now I am slightly "homeless". Yes, I am fully aware than "home is where your heart is". That means that my home is inside an alternate and imaginary body of mine running down a gravel road somewhere alongside a cornfield and I need to go find it!

2) I don't really trust anyone with my kids- no one should be offended by that, I hardly trust myself!

3) Every time I go away on a vacation the kids go with and it really just means that I am doing the things I do at home somewhere else...and I find that annoying.

4) Ted can't ever seem to find the time to get work off for just us.

5) And to be completely honest if your husband told you that you should go away for awhile on vacation- no matter how well meaning they are- tell me you wouldn't get a little offended?

Since I have dedicated the last six years to staying at home, I really don't have anywhere to go that won't seem awkward. I don't have any money because we are building a home. My best friend would go with me, but she has three kids to take care of and who will watch them while we go "get away"?

So, I was thinking, you know what sounds fun to me? If they all had to leave and I got to be at home by myself! I could shower. I could eat all of my own food. I could watch whatever I wanted on TV. I could do it on the couch in my underwear if I wanted to! Antisocial me would actually love it! I could crank the music up too loud, I could drive too fast, I could go for a run and maybe, just maybe I might run into that imaginary body of mine running down that gravel road next to a cornfield somewhere and I could finally say, "I'M HOME!"

2 comments:

Tonya said...

so where is Ted taking the boys?

Joanna Reinhardt-Anderson said...

Gee, let me guess......no comment

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...