Monday, May 3, 2010

The Lilacs and the break pads

Seven years ago today, on a beautiful day like today. All of my family was gathered together beside my Grandpa. I was lucky because I got to hold his hand and rest my head on his chest to hear the last strong beat of the largest heart and strongest heart to ever exist. I really miss him. I can't help but think of May 3rd as a day of memories. I smell lilacs and I think of the flowers by his bed. I think his smile and his laugh. Even before he was completely unable to respond due to the morphine, he was still making mild jokes and smiling. I honor you today Grandpa for all the wonderful things you made possible in my life. I honor you for all the laughter, silliness, love and encouragement. I honor you for your integrity and your compassion. I honor you for your encouragement for teaching me to be a strong and capable woman. Thank you for teaching me how to change my own oil, check and change my own break pads, teaching me how to drive a tractor, dump truck, mower and bike and so very many more things. Thank you for always providing a safe place for me. I still am amazed at the passion and love you shared with Grandma until the very end. I love you so much and I think of you everyday. I see you in so many things. That is how a life should be lived. That is how you know if you truly love someone...they live on in your heart, your mind, your soul....forever. Squeeze- Squeeze- Squeeze. I'll see you on the other side. Until then, oh, how I deeply miss you.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

last night as I was lying in bed I was thinking about my grandpa too and how much I miss him. They have such a special place in our hearts.

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...