Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Forever, Erma

"I never met three children who could understand me less. When I laid out the pajamas, put the sides up on the crib and turned on the night-light, they came alive like the "big midnight show," standing on their heads, bringing out all the toys and playing patty-cake with the dog. When I picked up the phone, like mechanical robots on schedule they gargled bleach, rolled potatoes across the floor, climbed on top of the TV set and took off all their clothes. When I said "no," they giggled; "not now," they bit me; "come to Mama," they ran into traffic; "let me see what is in your hand, " they ate it; "The strained lamb is good for you," they blew it back into my face. Communicate with a toddler? I'd sooner take my chances with an untrained, excited puppy on a new white carpet." - Erma Bombeck from her book Forever, Erma

I've been reading Erma Bombeck books lately and I can't tell you how much I enjoy her writings. She wrote the things I think and write about. She inspires me. She reminds me to laugh at myself. It makes me feel as if I am not so far off...
Millions of people agreed and laughed with Erma Bombeck as she laughed at herself and the silliness and chaos of life. I hope to learn all that I can from this amazing talent.

Today I was running and a song by Taylor Swift came on my Ipod. You see, Amber and I are running the Rubarb Fest Race in Aledo next weekend. We've know we were going to do it since this winter, but we seemed to fight to find the time to run. It's frustrating, but realistic. It's annoying, but it fits the job description. We understand eachother enough to know we run until we fall over if we are thrown into the fire. We simply must do our best. Unfortunately our bodies don't match our minds. I never realized how hard Amber and I are on ourselves until it came to lifting. She is going to give me a wedgie for talking about her, but I'll take that wedgie! The trainers in two different towns at two different YMCA's gave two different programs. We act the very same. If the trainer tells us to do 12 reps...we do 15. If someone else does 20 then so do we....we can't have someone doing more!
Three sets of 20- don't skip an exercise- straight down the list- no time for chit-chat- just work- wild-like animals trying to prove we have something to show the world!
So, back to the song. Taylor Swift has a song called "Change" and I would like to dedicate it to Amber's and my Quadriceps and Gluteus Maximus:

The Change:
And it's a sad picture, the final blow hits you
Somebody else gets what you wanted again
You know it's all the same, another time and place
Repeating history and you?re getting sick of it
But I believe in whatever you do
And I'll do anything to see it through
Because these things will change, can you feel it now?
These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down
It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win
We'll sing hallelujah!
We'll sing hallelujah! Oh
So we've been outnumbered, raided and now cornered
It's hard to fight when the fight ain't fair
We're getting stronger now from things they never found
They might be bigger but we're faster and never scared
You can walk away and say we don't need this
But there's something in your eyes says we can beat this
'Cause these things will change, can you feel it now?
These walls that they put up to hold us back will fall down
It's a revolution, the time will come for us to finally win
We'll sing hallelujah!
We'll sing hallelujah! Oh
Tonight we standed on our knees
To fight for what we worked for all these years
And the battle was long, it's the fight of our lives
Will we stand up champions tonight?
It was the night things changed, can you see it now?
These walls that they put up to hold us back fell down
It's a revolution, throw your hands up, 'cause we never gave in
We'll sing hallelujah!
We sang hallelujah!
Hallelujah!

Thank you legs and butt-a-mus you do so much for us.

No comments:

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...