Monday, September 13, 2010

Lady with a Hatred for a Rubber Ducky

Yesterday Arline and I drove up to Mendota to pick up Kara and Faith and go to a baby shower of Arline's niece by marriage. The drive was long. I was antsy. At one point when we were probably 20 minutes from Kara's house I finally gasped, "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggg, let's do a Chinese fire drill!" She told me no. Maybe she was worried I would drive off :-) Just kidding Arline! I was serious about the Chinese fire drill. I hate sitting still that long and riding with me has to be the worst punishment ever considering I can't stand complete silence when people are around unless someone is sleeping. Ever wonder why I talk so much? Now you know.
When we got to the shower Kara and I were in good moods and joking around the whole time, but we were also catching up from not seeing each other for awhile and since we neither one like to talk on the phone, we have to catch up in person. We also find it quite fun to taunt each other. As we moved over to the part where the mother-to-be was opening gifts, we were having trouble seeing anyway so we continued to whisper our conversation. At one point Kara told me something that happened to my niece Faith. I said out loud, "oh my gosh, I DON'T like that!" But right as I was saying that the mother-to-be held up a rubber ducky and the room became quieter than it was. So imagine this. Mother holds up rubber ducky and lady from the back of the room says, "oh my gosh I DON'T like that!" In the awkwardness of the moment instead of saying "I didn't mean the ducky!" I mumbled "yeah, stupid ducky." quite sarcastically. As the shower came to an end, I was noticing that the entire thing was being filmed and Kara and my conversation was probably the closest sound to the camera. CRAP! Wow, I just love baby showers, they always bring out the best in me. It wasn't like I wasn't happy for the couple...I just have issues with baby showers. I was proud of myself for going. They are so hard for me. I know....I have a lot of issues. That's right I'm like a paint by number- so restrictive and annoyingly stifling. But, I promise you I really can rock out an awesome masterpiece despite all of that! Kara was worried we looked like we didn't care and I hoped we didn't. To make her laugh about it I said, "Well, I know they don't like me, at least I have company!" She laughed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA I love this one. I read it 3 times

Joanna Reinhardt-Anderson said...

who is anonymous that loved this one and read it 3 times? Thank you...

Anonymous said...

Grant Reed, you crazy friend is "anonymous". HAHA I fooled ya! ( Evil laughter)it was the only profile that applied to me.

Tonya said...

I also loved this and laughed A LOT! Thanks for you sweet words on my blog. I was having a rough day.

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...