Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you decide?

When your spouse works full time hours, (8 hours), and you are a stay-at-home mother working constantly (24 hours of everyday except for the times when they are sleeping and even then you are still responsible for their safety). How do you spend the spouses days off? Do they get their break from work away from the home undisturbed? Or do you get a break from your everyday job? What is fair? Does anyone ever have a real day-off? What is healthy? How does one prioritise what is more important than the children? Should you be cleaning constantly to keep up....and oh how you would to keep up with two small children at home all day. Or do you focus on the time you have with them and their safety? Ideally one could do it all right? NOPE! DON'T be unrealistic. I don't care about the cleaning anymore. I'm taking a stand. I know when things have gone too far and my heart cries out to hold firm. I know in my heart that I am doing the right things. Today I stand strong for stay-at-home mother's. Today I recognize all that you sacrifice. Today I recognize all that you will never be able to put into words. Today I recognize your love for your children, but that you often feel abandoned. Today I recognize that invisible feeling you get when you work so hard only to have it be undone before anyone can see it. Today I recognize the break you want so desperately, but the torn emptiness you feel when you leave as your heart pulls you back to the little souls you live for each day. Today I recognize the lack of sleep you get worrying about things that will never happen. Today I recognize the guilt you feel when people tell you that they wish so badly they could stay at home with their children also. Today I recognize the day you walk out the door to your first job in ten years and realize that what you wanted so badly for so long is terrifying and you want to run back inside and take it all back. Today I recognize all the feelings of failure, ugliness, boredom and regret. Today I honor you stay-at-home mothers. I understand what they will never know. Our time will come. Our pay will be unmeasurable.

No comments:

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...