Thursday, August 12, 2010

Here's my work: your turn!

1) Make a List of 10 things you are happy about today:
* Kelly, Deacon and Avery are blessings in our lives. The faith, quick action, strength and level headed mental and emotional state Kelly maintained while hanging upside-down in a vehicle while her children were in the back....I am more than happy, I am eternally grateful to God for his presence.
* The youth kids in my church- The way they come to me and feel as if they can talk to me. I love that they text me and e-mail me and I hope they know how lucky I feel to know such wonderful young adults.
* Ted, Grant, Jake and Jada, my parents, Amber, my grandparents and the boys grandparents, my aunts and uncles, the boys aunts and uncles, my cousins and the boys cousins, my friends and the boys friends.
* Getting to clean and take care of my friend and her husband with cancer- I have never learned so much from two people in such a short period of time
* The canvas bags and keychains I designed recently. I've never been able to sit still long enough to do anything  like that other than writing.
* The stories I wrote and am ready to send in to the other publishers
* That the "Blueberry" article was put in the church youth newsletter!
* That Ted finished the Biathlon even though I was unable to due to the health stuff.
* I figured out a way that Grandma can send her letters even though she can't use her lymphodema arm and doesn't have a computer!
* I was able to go to church and Sunday School today!

2) Make a List of 10 things you will soon be happy about
*Running again
*Lifting again
*The house getting started, finished and moved into soon- as in late late November or December
*My Friends husband was cleared for more radiation treatment
*I may not have to do any other job than clean for a few people to make the same money I would have made with a part time job and I can work around the boys schedules better.
*This may actually allow me to start night classes in the Kinesiology department and maybe even get a registered dietetics degree, personal training certification, and TRY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD!! Maybe not though- maybe I'll just keep writing.
*Fall/Autumn is coming
* Jake's Birthday party is going to be a Star Wars theme and I love Star Wars just like he does!
* I think I will get to mow tomorrow and I love mowing! (P.S. I took so long to write this that it is tomorrow already and I did get to mow!)
*Pilates, yoga, running, lifting or step classes in the very early AM hours so I can still take the boys to school.

3) If you have kids: Make a list of what your opinion is that they are the most happy about each day- no limit on the amount. If you don't have kids, pick a niece, nephew, child you babysit or know well enough you can make their list
Jake's List:
* SWINGING, SWINGING, SWINGING- he has done it for over an hour many times. It all started when he was 18 months: The good sign is that he can sit still some of the time!
*Mints
*Star Wars
*iCarly
*Wizards of Waverly Place
*PlayDoh
*Going to any or all of the Grandma or aunt and uncles houses
*Frog, toad, bug, worm and other creature hunting with Grant
*Stealing my mocha frappes from McD's
*Doing the robot to any Black Eyed Peas song, dancing, dancing and more dancing-(but he doesn't want anyone to watch him!)
* "What are we going to do today Jake?, What we do everyday Grant- try and make Mommy even crazier! "
*Hide, wait for Grant and then jump out and scare the tar out of him when he walks by....then he will wrestle poor Grant to the ground and sit on him.
*Farming with Grandpa Ken
*From what I gather: he loves to go into Grandpa Rick's workshop and explore and ask Grandpa, "wasss that Gampa? Waaaaaassssss that Gampa?...."
*Chasing poor Jada (p.s.- Grant always wants me to read what I am writing and he added that last one for Jake!)

Grant's List:
*Frog, Toad, Bug, bird eggs and or baby birds and nest, cicada shells, any creature on Gods great Earth explorations. Yesterday Grant told Ted and I that he really wanted to live near us when he grows up but he just had to live in or by the jungle or desert or there would be no way to find all of the creatures and animals he needs to find. If two years ago I had been told this by anyone I would have disagreed due to pure motherly selfishness- but even with the danger and the distance he will face and of course the worry and longing for our son that his father and I will face- I can't imagine a more dream come true existence for my son. I wish there was a way to put him into an advanced animal science course right now. He has gone beyond all the books I could find. I never thought I would ever have such an amazingly intelligent child. I hear the part of the brain that shows strength in science does well in math as well. That would now certainly explain why his pre-K math book was finished last year and now he asked for the first and second grade math book. I don't agree in pushing your children with school work above and beyond at this age...he does this purely on his own. Awww I never wanted to be one of those parents who brag, please don't see it that way. I find it a slight hindrance due to the school systems and their lack of encouragement in this area at these young ages. Also God should think about who he gives these children to- I feel as if I hinder his growth. I do my best , but we have now entered the Grant educating me stage. I never want him to not fit in because he doesn't know how to have conversations with his peers about typical k-5 stuff!! Although that kid could do stand-up he is so stinkin' funny! That just might be his ticket to win over his peers.
* Playing with Faith, Avery, and Brennan who all show the same kind of compassion and understanding he shows. They understand and "pretend" if are not genuinally interested in Grants excitement over his newest creature finds. They also never tell him that he can't play with something because it is for a "girl"- Someone at preschool once said something about littlest pet shop being for girls and he has never forgotten it. He absolutely loves littlest pet shop toys. I have had a hard time explaining that toy companies decide what is "boys or girls" toys based on how much money they think they can make with the toy. Also, whenever I hear a child say these few phrases reguarding "girly" you will get some interesting and unrequested conversation from me. In fact that will be my next blog topic!'....maybe
*Eating yogurt, drinking milk, eating oatmeal, eating plums, cantaloupe, grapes, blueberries, he also loves my home-made cooking- something I don't get to do very often anymore- but he might be the only one in this house who is nice enough to compliment me for it!
*Playing with littlest pet shop toys, toy stretchy lizards, frogs, bugs, worms, etc., his BUDDIES! (His stuffed animals-of which I have no limit! I'm sentimental...what can I say?), building tents, reading, reading, reading playing his leapster- (i love those educational games!)
*Practicing flips, handstands, and break dancing poses he learns on So You Think You Can Dance- We learned how to stand on our head together on the same night. Great memory!
*He wants me to add: (I can't believe I forgot this!) Climbing every tree he sees and all the rain so that the frogs and toads come out!
I could add most of Jake's list too because what they enjoy is somewhat similar. But oh, that is where their similarities end!

4) Write 10 words/ Phrases of wisdom
* Being late is disrespectful- Me-ism
* Treat others as you would like to be treated- The Golden Rule
* If you don't want someone to find out about it- don't do it!- Grandpa Jake
* Don't just stand there- do something!- A common quote to Grant from me
* A strong man stands up for himself- a stronger man stands up for others- Barnyard the movie
* Do or do not there is no try- Yoda
* A Person is a Person No Matter How Small- Dr. Seuss (Horton Hears a Who)
* People are more important than things
* It is just stuff- less is more
* Common sense isn't common
* Doctor's are humans too, not God's; don't think you are below them. They also make mistakes.- My soapbox statement
* Whoever decided what was a girl's toy, movie, book, color, etc vs. what was a boy's? -My other soapbox statement
*Be the change you wish to see in this world

5) Write 10 ways you create Karma in your life or other's lives
* Donate anonymously- well that just completely ruined that...nevermind
* Put your grocery cart back-no matter how hot, if it is raining, snowing, freezing... raining men
* Donate it- don't sell it
* I don't use pesticides
* I teach my children the importance of kindness to all of God's creatures and creations
* I teach Grant and will teach Jake the importance that doing the right thing may mean standing alone- but that God, Mom and Dad will always be standing right beside them, until the time comes that their struggle with be worth the frustration....and it will...it really will.
* Admit fault and apologize
* When the boys and I say our payer at night we don't just say a repetitive phrase without meaning every night- I help them think about what they are thankful for and thank God for that, then I help them think of one thing they would like help with for themselves and they ask God for that. I hope it teaches them to thank more than they ask for.
* I pray out loud constantly throughout the day: (for example)
When the boys loose their tempers or have breakdowns and I am boiling inside I pray:
"Dear God, help me stay calm."
When we hear the Lifeflight helicopter come to or leaving MDH, or if we see an ambulance with lights and sirens, the boys have learned my prayer: "Dear God, please be with that patient and their family, give them strength to overcome whatever this is." Jake tries, but it ends up twisted.
6) Write 10 of your favorite memories  (Just a little note: My memories of childhood and growing up have been a blessing. I have so many. I cherish them all and if it weren't for the wonderful childhood I had, I would have never made it through all the rough stuff I have had to face in my life as an adult. I was lucky, while some people only have two parents, I had three and then when I turned eleven I had four. I was always filled to the top with love, support and guidance, and lessons on life and love. Dear God I cherish my parents. Thank you so much Mom, Dad, Big (Grandma Gig) and Papa Jake.)
* Running on the gravel road between Mom's house and Grandma and Grandpa's house
* Mowing for hours in the yard and ditches on the farm
* watching sunsets from the picnic table, on top of the farrowing house, or grain bin
* Youth Group Trips and pretty much anything and everything we all did together
* The first few minutes after the birth of Grant was the best feeling I have ever had.
* When Jake came out he had his giant brown eyes (yes brown) wide open and staring me down. He was quiet and content. That lasted a whole three minutes and then he screamed for four months straight I swear! I was just so thankful that he was fine after what he went through during the pregnancy and I could see him with my own eyes. I had a sense of calm come over me that he would make it at that point, but up until then I was not convinced. His delivery didn't hurt at all so I thought something was terribly wrong considering Joseph's was horrible, Grant's was so bad I offered them money to call the anesthesiologist on vacation to come in anyway and give me an epidural....it didn't work...oh well.
* The first wonderful dates with Ted were so creative and amazing. I fell in love with him almost immediately. He has always been the one for me.
* Working at the bowling ally with Travis and listening to James Taylor. Sorry Ted I know we worked together too, but Travis danced to Walking Man and you are just a chair dancer...hehehe! I also loved dizzy bowling.
*I loved working as an EMT at WIU and at MDH. Driving the ambulance and attending calls was amazing.
* Performing CPR on a young lawyer who coded and he survived by the grace of God. I broke his ribs! He teased me about it and thanked me in the same sentence. (P.S. that's common to break ribs, so don't start thinking I suck!)

7) Write 10 things that calm your soul
* Running
* Writing
* Reading anything Erma Bombeck has written
* Music- particularly Jack Johnson, my boyfriend- Michael Buble, Adelle, Taylor Swift, Alison Krauss, Dave Matthews Bands, The Fray, Owl City, The Script, and so many more....I am so obsessed with itunes
* Mt. Dew
* When Ted and the boys are all at home with me so I can see them and know they are safe if at least for only a moment
* My Grandma Melton, Jada, Mom when she remembers how strong she is, My best friend Amber all of the time, Ted when he isn't a zombie and get to choose better shifts.
*Talking forever with Amber on the phone, or texting her. Parenting without her would be horrible.
*Laughing so hard with Sarah we pee a little
*Yard/Garage sale shopping (the only type of shopping I can stand) by myself
* Spending time with just my big brother and goofing off- although I couldn't tell you the last time I got to do that.
* Good health and wonderful spirits that I see in the boys allows me to rest peacefully
* Knowing I will get to live in the country in only a matter of months again...not only live there, I will be a farm girl again! I will get to raise my boys on a farm with sheep, cattle, one loud and annoying rooster, a gigantic orchard, and a little bit of wheat....oh I can't wait!

8) Write 10 things you wish for yourself
* The ability to forgive and forget
* To overcome PTSD from loosing and delivering Joseph and Jake's pregnancy trauma and the extreme and often sudden anxiety I live with daily
* To be able to run everyday
* To take the MCAT, pass it with a very high score, just to say, see I told you I knew something!!!!!
* To not have to do the previous in order to gain self-respect
* To get my "Ashes, Ashes, We All Fall Down" book finished by next December 2011.
* To get the book published
* To Run a 5K, 10K, 1/2 marathon, full marathon, ironman, tiathlon (half and full) and someday to do the ultra marathon!
* To get all three of the children's books published by the same publisher and have them ask for more!
* To get my masters in Kinesiology and also become a Registered Dietitian. I would then get a certification in rehabilitation for personal training specializing in patients with Fibromyalgia, MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis or other autoimmune diseases where normal physical activity and diet changes don't work the same as other's. Yet, it is vital to their satisfaction in life.

9) Write 10 things you wish for others
* That people realize that food dyes and preservatives should be avoided for the sake of your health and most certainly your children whose cells change more rapidly than adults allowing for faster cell mutations from alterations caused by these unnecessary additives.
* I wish others would realize that spraying for weeds in your yard has to be more ridiculous and vain than a bleached blood, large breasted, tanned beyond normal human skin color, I moved to L.A. to be an actress type of quality girl! Please do not spray your toxins I can't believe that people in town genuially complain about farmers spraying pesticides. Has anyone read about the new recent farming practices? Some people seem to care more about not harming others with toxins(most up-update and current farmers) than the ridiculous number of people I see spraying the one freaking dandelion in their yard as I drive one mile down the street to my Mother in laws house. I really do feel sorry for the person who tries to spray around me or my kids, I have been know to whip out some crazy on that one! USE YOUR HANDS AND PULL THE WEEDS YOURSELF! I do it all the time. It takes awhile, but I won't have to worry about harming me, my children or the earth. Or use herbal, non-chemical sprays. I do that sometimes.
* I wish people remember people are more important than things....or weeds.....sorry I couldn't help myself-
* I wish my father had more help...free help, I wish it could be me. He has too much land and not enough ability to hire more help in my opinion! He is one amazing farmer!
* I hope my cousin stays safe on his tour in Iraq and that his wife and kids do as well as you can in a crappy situation like this.
* I wish people would be more real with the ones they love
* I wish people would tell their friends and family they love them every time they leave or hang up the phone- what if it were the last time you ever had the chance
* I wish for everyone to pay attention to their bodies and their health. If you feel something is wrong, go with your gut, stand firm with the doctors, do research, don't back down, unless you are being ridiculous (i.e. I know I have cancer because my eye twitches!) I mean for those of you who sit on your symptoms in misery for years and wait thinking they just may be normal for you when deep down you know they aren't. Go to the doctor and do it for the people who love you.
* Get a yearly check-up with blood work starting at 30- if you don't have a standard how will you ever know if there is a deviation? Grant didn't have a scheduled well-child at three or four or something, so I scheduled one. He doesn't ever need to go to the doctor, but I want him to always do a yearly check-up.
* Get you teeth cleaned every six-months- your teeth are a mirror to your health. Grant has gone every six months since he was two. He has never had a cavity and has awesome teeth, so do I. Everything else in our lives may be a disaster  but what good is a life without good health?
* If you don't take any other vitamins be sure to absolutely take Omegas for so many different reasons- like people who don't eat enough fish, have a family history of heart disease (our nations number one killer), already are showing signs of heart disease, and the the main reason I take it- it helps the brain with those of us who suffer from depression, ADHD and or anxiety.
Vitamin D3- Heart, Brain, Bones- and so much more
Magnesium- I helps with nerve and muscle function. It is great for neurological diseases like MS and it helps with Fibromialgia as well. I take this for migraine prevention, my friend with MS is on this as well as it is helpful to her also.
Vitamin B Complex- This almost always has your Vit C in it, so no need to take more or you will spend the day on the toilet (sorry, I have no limits).
The boys take Omegas and Grant and I have both really noticed a change in fogginess after we began taking it.

Now if you made it to the end of this and read it you probably deserve some sort of prise for sitting through it! I had mentioned in my previous blog that I wanted you all to try this too. I think it was incredible, hard, inspiring and self-revealing. Most if not every single one of you won't do this and that is okay, but at least let you brain ponder some of the questions if even for a moment.

No comments:

“The Wisdom That Comes From Not Knowing”

I want to do spoken poetry.  I want to stand in front of children and tell a story with such theatrical illusionary magic and  dimension tha...